Requisition Number: 2186847
Job Category: Healthcare Delivery
Primary Location: Buffalo, NY
$3,500 Sign on Bonus External Candidates
Improve Your Quality of Life While Helping Seniors.
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Senior Community Care (SCC) “On Call” Nurse Practitioner is responsible for providing telephonic care and direction to members and facility staff during various overnight, weekend, and holiday hours. This role is responsible for the delivery of medical care services to a pre-designated group of enrollees in the New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, and New Hampshire areas.
In this home-based role you will provide afterhours virtual (primarily telephonic) care for aging residents in various settings. This excellent opportunity affords an autonomous role bringing enormous satisfaction in the care and comfort of our aging population.
Scheduling & Hours:
This is a Per Diem work from home position requiring various shift coverage with a mix of weeknights, weekend, and holiday coverage.
While shift times can vary, we provide coverage to members on weeknights from 5pm- 8am local time, continuous coverage from Friday at 5pm to Monday at 8am. Holiday coverage is also provided beginning at 5pm of the end of the last business day to 8am of the resumption of business hours.
- Availability and Coverage expectations for this role
- Weeknight shifts between 5pm and 8am
- Potential to work 64 hours a month based on team needs
- At a minimum weekend coverage constitutes 32 weekend hours in a 4-week period
- This can be a mixture of day and night hours
- Overnight and holidays are required for all NPs
- Holiday scheduling is completed at the beginning of the year for advanced planning
- 1 8-hour summer holiday (Memorial Day, Labor Day, or July 4th)
- 1 8- hour winter holiday (Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas, or NYD)
- Premium pay is paid for holiday coverage
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Available on provided telephonic platform, both taking and placing calls to coordinate care for members between facilities, hospitals, and Optum field colleagues
- Utilize EMR proficiently to provide acute care to members during overnight and weekend/ holiday hours
- Primary Care Delivery
- Deliver cost-effective, quality care to assigned members
- Manage both medical and behavioral, chronic and acute conditions effectively, and in collaboration with a physician or specialty provider
- Perform comprehensive assessments and document findings in a concise/comprehensive manner that is compliant with documentation requirements and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations
- Responsible for ensuring that all diagnoses are ICD10, coded accurately, and documented appropriately to support the diagnosis at that visit
- The APC is responsible for ensuring that all quality elements are addressed and documented
- Utilizes practice guidelines and protocols established by SCC
- Must attend and complete all mandatory educational and LearnSource training requirements
- Care Coordination
- Understand the Payer/Plan benefits, SCC associate policies, procedures and articulate them effectively to providers, members and key decision-makers
- Coordinate care as members transition through different levels of care and care settings
- Monitor the needs of members and families while facilitating any adjustments to the plan of care as situations and conditions change
- Review orders and interventions for appropriateness and response to treatment to identify most effective plan of care that aligns with the member’s needs and wishes
- Evaluate plan of care for cost effectiveness while meeting the needs of members, families and providers to decreases high costs, poor outcomes and unnecessary hospitalizations
- Program Enhancement Expected Behaviors
- Regular and effective communication with internal and external parties including physicians, members, key decision-makers, nursing facilities, CCM staff and other provider groups
- Ability to meet shift scheduling requirements, and attendance expectations
- Exhibit original thinking and creativity in the development of new and improved methods and approaches to concerns/issues
- Function independently and responsibly with minimal need for supervision
- Demonstrate initiative in achieving individual, team, and organizational goals and objectives
- Participate in SCC quality initiatives
- Availability to check Optum email intermittently for required trainings, communications, and monthly scheduling
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master’s Degree as a Nurse Practitioner
- Current unrestricted NP license in the state you reside and ability to obtain in other required locations
- Nurse Practitioner national certification as ANP, FNP, or GNP in New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, and New Hampshire
- Ability to obtain DEA licensure / Prescriptive Authority
- 3+ years of experience as a NP
- Background in acute and chronic disease management
- Clinical background in adult, family, or geriatrics
- Proficient computer skills including the ability to document medical information with written and electronic medical records
- Ability to gain a collaborative practice agreement, if applicable in your state(s)
- Ability to work scheduled shifts in accordance with scheduling policies
- Experience working in a nursing home, or with seniors in an acute care facility
- Understanding of Geriatrics, Chronic Illness, and acute disease management
- Understanding of Advanced Illness and end of life discussions
- Ability to develop and maintain positive customer relationships
- Adaptability to change
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Washington residents is $85,000 to $167,300. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Search by License
Search Jobs by State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia