GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Nurse Practitioner works in a remote capacity as part of the team covering indirect work within provider inbasket folders including but not limited to; patient gateway messages, telephone calls, urgent refills, urgent or critical results, CC’d charts and other folders as time allows.
Telephone calls can range from routine to emergent and may require prescription writing, lab or radiology ordering and interaction with PCP or covering MD as needed for clinical support.
The NP will work with our MA and nursing staff that are supporting indirect work and will respond to PG messages, telephone calls and perform virtual visits as needed for patient care. The NP will also help to cover inbasket items for many providers in the office especially for vacation/day off coverage. The NP will review inbasket of all providers on site for inbasket folders as time allows or as directed after supporting the providers who are off or on vacation.
Prescription refills may be done with exception of controlled subbtances for ninety day supply with four refills for appropriate routine medications if the patient has had appropriate labs and visits to meet the refill protocols.
The NP will work to resolve PG messages, telephone calls in real time by either providing clinical advice or offering a virtual visit. The NP will place orders for testing, vaccines, referrals or refills as necessary based on patient request if appropriate.
- Treats patients with courtesy and respect.
- Is mindful of cultural beliefs and expectations.
- Determines priorities per patient’s needs.
- Understands all components of position and how job fits into overall mission of the practice.
- Contributes to favorable image of Practice.
- Dresses to support business/clinical image.
- Works collaboratively with peers and staff, fostering an environment of teamwork.
- Refrains from engaging in demeaning, discriminating or otherwise threatening behavior.
- Attends regular scheduled practice meetings.
- Is punctual, plans ahead for scheduled time off by 2 months.
- Open and receptive to change and feedback.
- Assist in orienting new staff in like positions.
- Contributes to strengthen the practice community.
- Is present and focused at work.
- Effectively owns work they do to completion and resolves mistakes when made.
- Recognizes patient as ultimate consumer of services.
- Places patient concerns before self.
- Protects and maintains patient confidentiality.
- Consistently produces work that meets practice standards.
- Performs job accurately, in a timely fashion.
- Maintains proper documentation of information required for position.
- Is aware of practice goals and is a proactive participant in helping achieve them.
- Provides and receives feedback in a tactful, positive, respectful manner.
- Responds to patients and colleagues in a timely manner.
- Uses agreed upon methods of practice communication as decided by individual practice guidelines.
- Communicates any unexpected tardiness, changes or adjustments in schedule as dictated by practice policy.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Collaborates with physicians as needed while managing acute medical needs of patients.
- Instructs patient/family regarding medications and treatments provided during telephone triage.
- Actively supports patient safety program; adheres to applicable patient safety standards.
- Prepares written documentation as required in the patients medical record following standard clinical practice and protocols.
- Triages patient telephone calls and provides consultation.
- Follows MGH Primary Care/Assembly Row policies and procedures faithfully; attends meetings and continuing educations opportunities as directed. Seeks to expand skills and professional knowledge.
- Treats all patients courteously and with dignity and respect at all times.
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Minimum of 3 years direct Adult/Family Medicine experience required and ambulatory experience is preferred.
- Strong triaging skills required.
- Demonstrated competency in providing comprehensive health care including evaluation, diagnosis and treatment
- Knowledge of accreditation standards and compliance requirements
- Use of Electronic Medical Record
- Must maintain Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Excellent clear verbal communication skills and proficient writing skills required. Experience with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and EPIC.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Maintains and updates knowledge and skills based on current education, nursing, and health care practices.
- Attend staff meeting as scheduled
- Fulfills professional role through involvement in professional organization activities, presentations, (publications, and research).
- Responds to changes in clinical practice by planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating scientific based practice.
- Applies problem solving approaches to teaching, guiding, and solving complex clinical problems.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
Responsible billing per MGH Billing Compliance, Federal and State billing regulations
- Integrates theoretical knowledge base and clinical expertise in decision making.
- Consistently demonstrates accountability.
- Exemplifies a professional behavior.
- Provides clear and direct verbal and written communication.
- Effectively facilitates group processes of decision-making for patient, family, and staff.
- Is empathic and respectful.
- Is HIPAA compliant.
- Is BLS certified
- Patient care primarily through Virtual indirect work. May involve some Virtual Patient Visits
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable):
Required: Current Massachusetts state license as a registered nurse practitioner. Federal and State DEA licensure.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a Master’s degree and NLN approved NP program and possess state licensure to practice in the expanded role.
Minimum 3 years experience as a nurse practitioner preferably in a family medicine, or primary care setting
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
MA-Somerville-MGH Assembly Row
MGH Assembly Row
399 Revolution Drive
Advanced Practice Nurse
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours 20
Posted Shift Description Exact number of hours and days worked to be discussed during the interview.
Recruiting Department MGH Primary Care
Nov 7, 2023
Search by License
Search Jobs by State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Remote nursing jobs delivered to your inbox once a week
Find your unicorn remote job
Join hundreds of nurses getting
weekly alerts with the best jobs!
Join hundreds of nurses getting
weekly alerts with the best jobs!